North Star Report — Issue #7 (Summer is here!)
Hey folks, Council was on break and my summer has been going by at light speed! I’ve been trying to fish weekly on the Brule, playing amateur baseball again, attending as many Twins games as possible, and working in my garden, taking in a few outdoor concerts. I hope that you are healthy and well and enjoying all that Duluth has to offer in our short window of summer as well!
Council Meeting 7/18/2022
- We have recently had a conversation about broadband in Lincoln Park- here is the result of those conversations if you haven’t kept up!
- Purchased 4,100 tons of road salt for the winter (winter is coming!)
- Appointed individuals to the Forset Commission, Duluth Airport Authority as well as the Duluth Transit Authority
- Allocated $150,000 for warming centers and outdoor living zones
Council Meeting 7/11/2022
- Approved appointment of individuals to the Planning Commission and Alcohol, Gambling and Tobacco Commission
- Approved several development agreements
- Approved acceptance of a grant in the amount of $22,899.10 from the Department of Justice for ballistic vests
Boards and Commissions
If you are interested in serving on a Board or Commission, the first step is to complete an application form, found here: https://duluthmn.gov/boards-commissions/
100 More Cups of Coffee
I’m three cups in with several other requests. Want to grab a cup? Click the link below! If you want to grab a cup of coffee or know someone that does- don’t hesitate to reach out!
News Round Up
Duluth Police Department names first female interim chief — Duluth News Tribune | News, weather, and sports from Duluth, Minnesota — www.duluthnewstribune.com
Mayor Emily Larson announced that Laura Marquardt, a longtime investigator and administrator, would be the department’s interim chief starting Aug 1.
Proposal to hike Duluth’s park levy spurs debate; broadband plans scaled back — Duluth News Tribune | News, weather, and sports from Duluth, Minnesota — www.duluthnewstribune.com
Mayor Emily Larson pushed back against a City Council effort to place a 10-year sunset on the proposed property tax to fund local parks but eased up on a broadband funding request.
Apply now for scholarships for firefighter training — WDIO.com — With you for life — www.wdio.com
Duluth IAFF Local 101 is offering scholarships to pay for training to become a firefighter.
Duluth mural project connects city to its Ojibwe history | MPR News — www.mprnews.org
A mural project in Duluth honors an Ojibwe chief and the vital trip he took 170 years ago to preserve tribal homelands.
The 36th Annual Duluth Superior Pride Festival will feature traditional events alongside many new and returning events this Labor Day weekend, including several for all-ages! The celebration goes for over
Duluth avionics manufacturer gets nod to grow — Duluth News Tribune | News, weather, and sports from Duluth, Minnesota — www.duluthnewstribune.com
A parking variance will provide American Precision Avionics a bit of breathing room as it adds staff to boost production.